535 stringers and knees

Sell your boat, and or any boaty bits cluttering up the garage.
Forum rules
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 am

535 stringers and knees

Post by Petemcglynn »


I know absolutely nothing about boats, except, they're pricey, and a great deal of fun.

Ive bought myself what I believe to be a 1969 535 which has evidently been modified a little over the decades.

What I'm after is a little advice. I have removed all the exterior fittings and interior flooring, also the stringers and cross supports as they were almost rotted through.

The 535 has a couple of crevasses that run the length of the hull approx a foot each side of centre. These appear to have pipes, fibreglassed in since first manufacture at a guess, which run down the majority of the length, but don't breach the hull.

As I am having to replace the wooden structural reinforcement anyway, should I also remove, reinstate, fill with resin or ignore these little blighters that seem to have not aided the draining of the bilge area of my newest project.

Like I said, I'm brand new to boats and this is my first project. The learning curve has already been pretty vertical, but my thinking is that if I'm going back to a grp bubble, then it'd be best to do everything whilst the opportunity is there.

This was a very reasonable purchase in my opinion, especially being my first foray, and I'm enjoying the journey immensely already, especially as I haven't had her in the water yet. Any advice as to construction, hull compartmentalising, features and interior design would also be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: 535 stringers and knees

Post by vreagh »

On the very early 535s (a model called Shetland 69) the mouldings on the hull a foot either side of the keel, cover what is in fact steel rebar as used in concrete structures. Also set within the keel is a solid 1 1/4 inch steel bar which runs from just in front of the centre part of the seating to a foot or so in front of the transom.

Post Reply