4+2 leaky windows

Technical details and specific factual information regarding Shetlands is frequently inaccurate from the many published sources. We have collated the information shown here in good faith, believing it to be reasonably accurate. Our grateful thanks to the many members that have assisted us with their collective knowledge.
Forum rules
Please do not base a purchase, a sale, or a price negotiation purely on this content.
Clive

4+2 leaky windows

Post by Clive »

Hi all, hope you are all keeping ok.
My boat has been under wraps cos the front window leaks, Plus the cockpit screens, as the seals have dried and gone crispy!
Last year, despite all the comments about not being able to fix a leaky hatch I have! I should do a post on how, but I used Sikaflex 221 and it’s perfect, takes time but saves buying a new one and fitting it.

So, I want to remove the front cabin window, clean off the failing sealant and replace it. Does anyone know if Sikaflex 221 is the right solution? I’ve read if it’s exposed to UV it will deteriorate, which it would be as it’s not in a frame. What have other people used? Any help/advice very welcome.

All the best
Clive
4+2 (1989) 35hp Honda outboard, in Guildford on trailer.

ChrisC

Re: 4+2 leaky windows

Post by ChrisC »

HI,

If your windows are the overlapping style like ours, the neoprene tape works well. That's how we did ours. And if it ever needs doing again in a few years time it will be much less of a pain in the **** than having to get Sikaflex off everything.

Lots of useful info here https://shetlandf4.wordpress.com/windows/

Mdr24uk

Post by Mdr24uk »

I’d be interested in hearing how you get on with replacing the front cabin window Clive.
Mine’s not leaking yet, but looks untidy from outside.
It was a job that my boat’s previous owner never got around to doing, although he did throw in the window he’d had cut to size.

regards,

Mark
Regards,

Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1989 Shetland 4+2 60hp O/B

Clive

Post by Clive »

Mark, I'll be fixing the new window this week around the rain! Picked up the new window this afternoon. I've taken photos so I'll post a thread shortly. It was straightforward but time consuming...

Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi. In case you missed it I did a detailed post in Maintenance and DIY under the same name. Last post was October 2020 to help you find it.
And thanks ChrisC for your advice and Wordpress blog link - as you’ll see, I found it very helpful!
Cheers, Clive