Shetland 640 advice

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
bpmurray

Shetland 640 advice

Post by bpmurray » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 am

I've just joined so please excuse me if this is the wrong forum!

A couple of friends and I are bringing a neglected 640 back to life. It was in a pretty bad condition initially, but we've brought it back to the glass and are rebuilding it from there. One question that we are very unclear about is the engine. We want to use an outboard but we're seeing conflicting information. The boat will be used at sea, not in lakes or rivers, so the engine does need to do more work. Because of distances, we also need it to be reasonably quick, not boy-racer stuff, but being able to travel from mooring to the fish in a reasonable time - basically, she should get up on the plane and skim along to where we're going.

According to the manufacturer's information I was able to find, it seems that they don't recommend anything above 45HP. However, I suspect that to get up on the plane will require something like 12-15 knots, and (I'm guessing here) that probably means upwards of 70HP.

So my question here is: what is the max outboard size we can fit on a Shetland 640?

I would look at the photos on the forums to see what they have but all I get is "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." - that may be the subject of a further question unless there's a quick simple answer (it's not in the board FAQ).

vreagh

Re: Shetland 640 advice

Post by vreagh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Welcome to the club. You'll find good tips and advice from the members. To gain access to pictures and data you need to be a full member, costs £5 for life membership.