Identify colour code on Shetland 570

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
Curry65

Identify colour code on Shetland 570

Post by Curry65 »

Hi,
I have one large and a few smaller scratches in the gelcoat on my recently purchased Shetland 570.

I need the colour code to get the colour matched using a gelcoat repair kit. The colour I am looking for is the beautiful turquoise from late 70's or early 80's (picture attached).

My goal is to make it look as original as possible: I have stripped down the interior completely, and currently replacing all the cables (I believe it is a bit rare with its Volvo Penta AQ140 inboard engine).

Any help to find the right colour code would be appreciated.

All the best //
Magnus Averdal
Sweden

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=95 ... _tn__=EH-R

dellquay13

Re: Identify colour code on Shetland 570

Post by dellquay13 »

Hi Magnus,
The colour of your hull will have changed over the last 40+ years, so the original ral colour will no longer be an exact match, even if anyone actually knows it.
Do Swedish home design/decor shops have sample cards of ral colours you can take home to choose paint colours?
We can also buy sets of ral colour cards in the UK for matching colours.
If you get some cards to match the colour to your boat, compare them on a bright day but out of direct sunlight.
Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 50mile radius.

Curry65

Post by Curry65 »

Thanks for your reply Chris,

Yes we do have colour cards, but they are hard to match because of their limited size (I can find about 4-5 colours that I think match equally good).

I will need to polish the hull and try my best with the colour matching. I have seen that some of the shops have scanners that will show a colour code of what has been scanned. I have done the same with photo and software on my computer, and some software seems to get it right. There is also software online, to which you can upload photos and have them analysed according to digital coding. I have used that once before and at that time it turned out well. I believe this is the best one: https://imagecolorpicker.com/

Thanks for your input.

Best regards //
Magnus

dellquay13

Post by dellquay13 »

Hi Magnus,
The digital photo to online software does sound convenient, remembering that the camera software on many smartphones default to settings that turn up the colour saturation etc, for teenagers who want to impress their friends on Instagram.
Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 50mile radius.

Curry65

Post by Curry65 »

:D
Hehe, lucky enough I can turn off all filters and get a raw HDR picture with my camera. I think the most important thing here is to polish the hull (or at least a part of it) and take the picture after that, so that it shows what the rest of the boat will look like when it is looking its best.

BR //
Magnus

Clive

Post by Clive »

Clive wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 pm
Hi - my son put me onto East Coast Fibreglass Supplies who he uses. Really helpful lady helped me on the phone. For my 4+4 I reckonOyster White RAL 1013 is pretty close. I've posted more on Maintenance thread.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/ ... c-catalyst

These people have the range of RAL colours they do on their site, they also have most things to do with fibreglass/grp. Might be easier than mixing unless there is a big colour difference.

Cheers, Clive
Try these guys. RAL colours are the way to go. At £10 for a small pot it’s easily doable.

Good luck, keep us posted
4+2 (1989) 35hp Honda outboard, in Guildford on trailer.

Curry65

Post by Curry65 »

Cheers Clive,
I will give it a go.

Thanks for the link.

BR //
Magnus

Samtroot

Post by Samtroot »

How did you get on with getting a colour match? I have the same turquoise 570 and have been trying to find a match

Clive

Post by Clive »

I’ve got mine arriving today - East Coast do colour matched fibreglass as well as GRP filler. I’ll let you know how it compares to the boat (off white, not turquoise).
4+2 (1989) 35hp Honda outboard, in Guildford on trailer.

Curry65

Post by Curry65 »

Hi,
I have not polished the hull for a colour-match yet, but I will do it soon.

Meanwhile I will follow Clive's feedback on his more common off-white.

I will let you know when I have done the job, but please do not hold your breath, I have a ton of things to do on the boat, and my current priority is to redo the electrical system (adding one group - to have one consumer group and one start/running group - not because I have to, but because I can :) )

All the best //
Magnus