Back to Shetland Ownership!

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
hoblands

Back to Shetland Ownership!

Post by hoblands »

We started our boating life in 2005 with Mahler, a Shetland 535 / Suzuki 55hp stored and used along the Sussex Coast. 2 years later we upgraded to a Black Hawk as needed some extra space. In 2008 we joined the famous Shetland Owners Solent flotilla (continued in 2009 and 2010) and can honestly say these were the best mini holidays we've ever been on. We met some really great people that we still call friends today.

In 2010 we made an error (in hindsight) and upgraded again to a bigger boat to keep on the Solent. Shetland didn't offer a solution to our needs at this time so we ended up purchasing a 28ft Jenneau Leader 805, and then a few years later, a Bavaria 32 Sport (34 feet loa), both kept either in Gosport or on the river Hamble. Had some great times in and around the Solent over the past decade but never felt the 'spark' experienced with the smaller boats.

For various reasons, we ended up selling our last boat in 2020 and I stupidly thought I could survive without having a route on to the water :lol:
Fast forward to now (or next spring to be precise) and we are hankering over another boat, and looking back, the simplicity and relative low costs in Shetland ownership and having a vessel that I feel comfortable working on myself, together with this resource of friendly, knowledgable people was our best years in boating (some of you may remember me - I haven't posted here since 2011...)

So, sometime after Christmas, I'll be actively looking for a 535, 570, Black Hawk or Kestrel. This one will be kept in Ryde Marina on the Isle of Wight. Quite sure I'll be back here looking for pointers, and also passing on my prior knowledge if a question comes up that I feel qualified to answer!

All the best
Paul & Tanya

PS. Our previous Shetlands are in the gallery on this website. They are dated 2011 as I think this is when the platform had a revamp - Mahler (535), and Jigerry Pokery (Black Hawk) - If anyone knows where they are now I'd be very interested.
Clive

Re: Back to Shetland Ownership!

Post by Clive »

Welcome back, you’ve certainly had some boats! I have a 4+2 which I love but I wouldn’t class it as a sea boat despite its rating. I like the layout and good size cockpit which can be hard or soft top. Mine has spent time doing some form of coastal as the engine had loads of sand and crustaceans in it! Are you looking for a newer boat? There is a manufacturer in Poole who has bought the moulds for the Black Hawk so that could be useful. Shetland do a 27 which is a really nice boat.
Most of us owners here are restorers who keep old boats going, lots of fishermen with 535s too. I may get to the Hamble and Poole next year so might meet up - post some pics, here’s a couple of mine…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4+2 (1989) 35hp Honda outboard, in Guildford on trailer.
hoblands

Post by hoblands »

Yours looks very nice indeed. A little bigger than what I've got in mind for us (berth will be 20ft max). We've owned a few more boats than mentioned over the years actually! Below are photos in chronological order.

I'm not expecting the next boat to get a huge amount of use as we actually live in Sussex but spend every other weekend in Ryde (Isle of Wight) during the summer months, and around 1 weekend a month in the winter. Budget will be in the region of £4 - £5k for something that needs work or £7 -£8k for a well cared for boat with a newish engine.

If all goes to plan, we'll be purchasing something next March or April. Would be great to meet up on the Solent if you get down.

All the best.
5 Mahler - Shetland 535.JPG
9 Shetland Black Hawk.JPG
10 Bayliner Capri.JPG
14 Searay 215.JPG
15 Rinker 242 Fiesta Vee.jpg
18 Jeanneau Leader 805.jpg
21 Bavaria 32 Sport.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clive

Post by Clive »

That’s a mighty impressive list of boats, definitely got some boat envy! Prices were silly during staycation times so hopefully next spring prices will have settled down a bit. A decent engine will take care of most of your budget 😂
Thanks for the compliment - I’ve spent a lot of time filling accessory holes and dings to the GRP. Got some spider cracks to sort and other improvements but started at the stern outside. Will do some interior improvements over winter. She’s looking good for a 33 year old boat and keeps clean under wraps on the trailer at home, had Obsession X for 2 years now, it’s a very comfortable and straightforward boat.
Clive

Post by Clive »

This has just appeared - gives an idea of cost for a good one as these are still made. It’s in Poole.

https://www.facebook.com/34280143994923 ... 77799/?d=n
Clive

Post by Clive »

Screen grab
hoblands

Post by hoblands »

This one already sold, but more within budget. I can't justify spending big money as realistically, will only have the opportunity to use it maybe 6-8 per year (albeit, will become my Man shed in the winter months :D ) https://www.broadlandyachtbrokers.co.uk/boats/419